My VersaTube pole building collapsed!

7 of 7 VersaTube reviews

I purchased a metal frame building from Versa Tube, which their engineers designed for the area of Minnesota I live in.The building collapsed!

I purchased a VersaTube metal frame building from Menards in Hermantown, Minnesota. The building was designed by the engineers at VersaTube, for the area of minnesota I live in. The building was 32' wide X 36' long and 12.5' tall. I purchased the building in September 2013 and it was built that same month.

On Febraury 21, 2014 only 6 months after the construction of the building, it collapsed during a snowfall. The warranty states "The VersaTube Product Pledge What exactly is a Product Pledge? It's quite simple . .

. the Pledge is our way of showing that we're proud of our products and the level of quality that they represent. Your building will go through an extensive inspection process prior to leaving our plant, but if any component should not meet your expectations, we'll be glad to replace the part at no charge within 30 days of purchase. The only criteria that must be met is that you bought the building from VersaTube, the damage wasn't caused by customer modifications or mishandling, and that the building was erected within 4 months of purchase.

This section of the Pledge applies to any of the materials supplied with our building kits for one year from the date of purchase. The second part of the VersaTube Product Pledge provides a 20 year structural warranty on all framing components of our buildings from the date of purchase. Of course, the defect can't be caused by customer modifications or negligence, an unanticipated Act of God or nature, an accident, or any type of internal or external impact. Improper assembly or installation may also void the warranty.

The customer is responsible for performing standard building maintenance and inspections on a regular basis. We reserve the right to repair or replace any part that might not meet expectations. VersaTube is proud to put our name on the buildings we manufacture for our customers and stand behind their quality with our industry leading Product Pledge." I have contacted VersaTube, and they are not willing to honor the Warranty. VersaTube told me that I should file a claim with my homeowners Insurance company.

The building was designed by VersaTube Engineers for the part of the country I live in before I ever built it. Now they are saying that It has been an abnormally snowy winter and because of this, they don't have to honor the warranty. We have not broken any snowfall records in Saginaw, Minnesota this year. These buildings should not be sold to customers in Minnesota or other states that get snowfall.

VersaTube uses Homeowners Insurance as a copout to honor their warranty. I paid 6300.00 for the metal frame from Menards.

Menards tells me that all warranty issues go directly thru VersaTube.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Had the same issue 179 Yes 179
7 of 7 VersaTube reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Nov 25 #1245820 Bloomer, Wisconsin, United States

Car port style unit, no bridging (reinforcements), and the steel roofing is run the wrong way. This style unit is NOT "engineered" for Upper Midwest. Unfortunately the parties involved had no knowledge of this prior, and this is the outcome. "Do it yourself" also entails making "sure yourself" that the structure conforms with local building codes. Putting blame on the manufacturer and or the product distributor only proves that prevention would have out performed reaction.

Nov 25 #1245836 Bloomer, Wisconsin, United States

Went onto the Versatube.com website and designed the same exact car port (LxWxH) with open ends and horizontal steel. The biggest thing missing in the posted photos is the "Truss Brace Type 6R." Those would be the reinforcements for snow load, which is explained in detail on the manufacturers website. You also have the option of putting in a higher snow load capacity. This would ensure the structure could handle heavy loads. Like I said "do it yourself" and save the headaches.

Sep 07 #1209444 Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States

So glad that you posted this. I live in MN also and was looking at one of these for an extra garage. Don't care to waste my sheckles now.

1 3 Reply
MORRIS

Apr 27 #1150923 Tyler, Texas, United States

typical American way of doing things, NOW DAYS, I was thinking about buying one of their buildings. but now ,NOT A CHANCE.

5 3 Reply

Apr 17 #1145980

I don't know where this guy learned how to build stuff but is lacking basic skills. My wife looked at the pictures and asked me why would anyone install steel the wrong way on the roof. It like putting blocks to hold the snow up there. If his homeowner's insurance paid him the adjuster was not much more informed and why insurance costs so much with paying a claim caused by lack of common sense. He probably threw the instructions away as he knew better. I needed a good laugh today! Do not let this incident cause you to mistrust the Versatube engineers. I have put these buildings up in lake affect snow areas with NO problem!

5 12 Reply

Mar 14 #1127303

I sell these in Northern Ontario, Canada only had 1 collapse, and it was for the same reason this one did, NO BRIDGING, bridging ties the bottom cord of the trusses together to keep them plum, if you don't have it the truss moves out of alignment then there is no more strength, and I believe it is in the drawings for webbed trusses, 1" X 1" tube.

2 0 Reply

Dec 14, 2015 #1078354

how much for the hubcaps?

3 1 Reply

Nov 14, 2015 #1063997

Thanks for the review, think perhaps from this review I will pass upon any purchase from them. Sorry for the bad experience and expense you have.

6 2 Reply

Oct 28, 2015 #1055076

Building is only as good as th "BUILDER"!!!

11 7 Reply

Aug 24, 2015 #1023881

the defect can't be caused by customer modifications or negligence, an unanticipated Act of God or NATURE, an accident, or any type of internal or external impact.
Would suggest snow is nature, woops you just lost $6300

2 3 Reply

Jul 18, 2015 #1008993

I live in wisconsin thanks for the review. I have had issues with menards customer service I try to avoid shopping there.

2 2 Reply

Jun 25, 2015 #999518

Thanks for the info. I live in the mountains (yes it snows up here) of Arizona and was getting ready to buy one of these for my travel trailer. I will look at sturdier products or at least one that has better reviews and support from the manufacturer.

2 1 Reply

Jun 03, 2015 #991351

That's funny, the guy's insurance company thought it was an act of God and paid the claim. And he still tried to swindle money from the manufacturer, that's insurance fraud. He really ought to take this complaint down.

10 24 Reply

May 22, 2015 #987648

Did any of you not notice the comment from anonymous on March 08? Look at the pictures and see that the roof panels were installed so that the snow could not slide off. It was not a manufacturing defect, but an installation defect. if the panels are not installed so the snow could not slide off, what do you expect to happen? These systems are engineered for the areas they are installed in, but they are not guaranteed against human error. The pissed off person that this happened to had a terrible loss no doubt, but he said himself that he was also involved in the installation of the structure. Who installed the roof panels, who inspected the structure? If it was an inspector who signed off on the structure, go after him for compensation.

22 7 Reply

Oct 15 #1227510

This type of versa tube building has the metal installed sideways, doesn't make sense but that's how they are designed, the ones with the gable pitched roof have the steel installed normally

May 13, 2015 #983530

even your friggin Mercury collapsed under that load.

6 4 Reply

Mar 08, 2015 #955691 Rancho Santa Fe, California, United States

It looks as though the roof panels were not installed with the paneling allowing for snow to slide off. They were placed on a 90 degree to the pitch of the truss.

18 10 Reply

Jun 02, 2015 #990755

If you read versa tubes assembly instructions, you will find he installed the panels according to versa tubes instructions. I have a versa tube 13x33 building for my RV and have had no problems with the snow loads in the country in Annandale, mn area.
Of course 32ft wide is quite a span.

7 2 Reply
Kesslers

Feb 08, 2015 #942629

My biggest concern here is the loss of life. Im assuming that nobody was hurt when this this thing collapsed. But could you imagine what this thing could have done to someone standing in there when this thing collapsed. It would have split their melon open like a snowball being thrown at a tree. Instead of the company trying to do everything they can to get away with paying a claim maybe they should be pulling these things from the market in this particular area. They are obviously not safe. I do agree with some of the posters here, you should have been out there with a roof rake pulling down some of that snow. I mean cmon, this thing snaps together like tinker toys. Next time spend the money to get a quality product or have a garage built by licensed contractors.

8 5 Reply
Joe Shmo

Jan 23, 2015 #935135 Waterville, Maine, United States

I'm not trying to be a *** here or anything, but have you ever thought about shovelling your roofs off? I mean come on, there is two feet of standing snow on the roof of your other garage and house. It sucks that you had to go through this but even if you check many home owners insurance policies they clealy state they will not pay for damages to roofs or structures that have not had snow properly removed. You took the easy way out for getting another garage, can't fault you for that, but when you don't maintain your property bad things can happen. Personally I would have opted for a model with a steeper pitch on the roof, or paid the extra money to have a real garage built.

11 9 Reply

1-20 of 39 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to VersaTube. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

×
You were reading a complaint about VersaTube.
Filing a new complaint about
×