Saginaw, Minnesota
28.7K views 44 comments
100% full

I purchased a metal frame building from Versa Tube, which their engineers designed for the area of Minnesota I live in.The building collapsed!

I purchased a VersaTube metal frame building from Menards in Hermantown, Minnesota. The building was designed by the engineers at VersaTube, for the area of minnesota I live in. The building was 32' wide X 36' long and 12.5' tall. I purchased the building in September 2013 and it was built that same month.

On Febraury 21, 2014 only 6 months after the construction of the building, it collapsed during a snowfall. The warranty states "The VersaTube Product Pledge What exactly is a Product Pledge? It's quite simple . .

. the Pledge is our way of showing that we're proud of our products and the level of quality that they represent. Your building will go through an extensive inspection process prior to leaving our plant, but if any component should not meet your expectations, we'll be glad to replace the part at no charge within 30 days of purchase. The only criteria that must be met is that you bought the building from VersaTube, the damage wasn't caused by customer modifications or mishandling, and that the building was erected within 4 months of purchase.

This section of the Pledge applies to any of the materials supplied with our building kits for one year from the date of purchase. The second part of the VersaTube Product Pledge provides a 20 year structural warranty on all framing components of our buildings from the date of purchase. Of course, the defect can't be caused by customer modifications or negligence, an unanticipated Act of God or nature, an accident, or any type of internal or external impact. Improper assembly or installation may also void the warranty.

The customer is responsible for performing standard building maintenance and inspections on a regular basis. We reserve the right to repair or replace any part that might not meet expectations. VersaTube is proud to put our name on the buildings we manufacture for our customers and stand behind their quality with our industry leading Product Pledge." I have contacted VersaTube, and they are not willing to honor the Warranty. VersaTube told me that I should file a claim with my homeowners Insurance company.

The building was designed by VersaTube Engineers for the part of the country I live in before I ever built it. Now they are saying that It has been an abnormally snowy winter and because of this, they don't have to honor the warranty. We have not broken any snowfall records in Saginaw, Minnesota this year. These buildings should not be sold to customers in Minnesota or other states that get snowfall.

VersaTube uses Homeowners Insurance as a copout to honor their warranty. I paid 6300.00 for the metal frame from Menards.

Menards tells me that all warranty issues go directly thru VersaTube.

Had an Experience with VersaTube?

Comments

anonymous
Hutchinson, Minnesota, United States #1344935

I don't have a problem with the way its put together.Had to scrap the snow off my mom's roof her house was old and needed TLC in the winter I like the way the carport is mine is a 20 x 20 x 10 I put in 4 trusses to make it stronger.

a person has to think about what your doing when your putting stuff up in Minn.we have high winds and snow No Brainer

mdelavega
Arkansas, United States #1330913

Darn! I was wanting to buy a Versatube building and now I have to find something else...

Bloomer, Wisconsin, United States #1245820

Car port style unit, no bridging (reinforcements), and the steel roofing is run the wrong way.This style unit is NOT "engineered" for Upper Midwest.

Unfortunately the parties involved had no knowledge of this prior, and this is the outcome.

"Do it yourself" also entails making "sure yourself" that the structure conforms with local building codes.Putting blame on the manufacturer and or the product distributor only proves that prevention would have out performed reaction.

to Anonymous Bloomer, Wisconsin, United States #1245836

Went onto the Versatube.com website and designed the same exact car port (LxWxH) with open ends and horizontal steel.The biggest thing missing in the posted photos is the "Truss Brace Type 6R." Those would be the reinforcements for snow load, which is explained in detail on the manufacturers website.

You also have the option of putting in a higher snow load capacity.

This would ensure the structure could handle heavy loads.Like I said "do it yourself" and save the headaches.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States #1209444

So glad that you posted this.I live in MN also and was looking at one of these for an extra garage.

Don't care to waste my sheckles now.

MORRIS
Tyler, Texas, United States #1150923

typical American way of doing things, NOW DAYS, I was thinking about buying one of their buildings. but now ,NOT A CHANCE.

I don't know where this guy learned how to build stuff but is lacking basic skills.My wife looked at the pictures and asked me why would anyone install steel the wrong way on the roof.

It like putting blocks to hold the snow up there. If his homeowner's insurance paid him the adjuster was not much more informed and why insurance costs so much with paying a claim caused by lack of common sense. He probably threw the instructions away as he knew better. I needed a good laugh today!

Do not let this incident cause you to mistrust the Versatube engineers.I have put these buildings up in lake affect snow areas with NO problem!

to Anonymous Toronto, Ontario, Canada #1280802

The roof sheets do run length ways, thats how these buildings are designed, and putting blocks up to hold the snow is better than letting is slide off and kill little old Grandma or anyone else, or your pet dog/cat, BBQ. maybe its you thats not informed.

to Anonymous Pikesville, Maryland, United States #1291012

THE BASE-DESIGN OF THE VERSA-TUBE BUILDING HAS THE SHEETMETAL RUNNING LONG-WAYS, EXACTLY AS THE OP SHOWED.THIS WASN'T HIS MISTAKE AT ALL BUT THE WAY VERSA-TUBE "DESIGNS" THEIR BUILDINGS.

THEY DO IT TO CUT COSTS SINCE THE PANELS COME IN 2-FOOT WIDTHS.TO RUN THEM VERTICALLY AS DESIGNED BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS COSTS MORE BECAUSE MORE TRUSSES ARE REQUIRED SO IT'S NO WONDER THAT VERSA-TUBE, A COMPANY KNOWN FOR CHEAP JUNK DESIGNS THEM TO RUN LONG-WAYS.

I sell these in Northern Ontario, Canada only had 1 collapse, and it was for the same reason this one did, NO BRIDGING, bridging ties the bottom cord of the trusses together to keep them plum, if you don't have it the truss moves out of alignment then there is no more strength, and I believe it is in the drawings for webbed trusses, 1" X 1" tube.